Time to Clear Your Land to Keep the Fire Danger Down!
We Hired Dastardly Deeds to rake our yard today. We live in a Ponderosa Forest in Evergreen and the ground is covered in dead grass and pine needles. It’s a tinderbox here like most everywhere else in the state. So, it’s time to get out and rake and clean up your yard to keep the fire danger down.
Here are a few things you can do immediately to start making your land safer:
- Rake your yard.
- Move all dead wood and firewood away from your house.
- Water your grass.
- Trim branches from near your house.
- Cut down trees that are too close to your house.
Here are a few things to do today to be ready in case you need to evacuate:
- Gather important papers.
- Gather computers and/or hard drives.
- Gather important artwork/photos.
- Pack an emergency bag with clothes and necessities.
- Think about where you’ll go if you need to go.
- Make a list of things to gather and leave it in an obvious place in your house.Â In case you’re not home, you can tell a neighbor what to get.
- Make a home video inventory of everything in your house.Â Go slow enough so you can recognize everything in your house.Â You’ll need this for insurance reasons to know what to replace. Keep this video and documents in a safe place like a safety deposit box.
- Get an online back up service for important, irreplaceable files like photos or QuickBooks files.
Let us know what other ideas you have…